Sunday, March 22, 2015

Late Arriving Postcard From Cuba

This got stuck somewhere in cyberspace and only just appeared in my inbox.
=========================================================



Bit of an update and additions as I escape the sun for a bit and enjoy a cigar.  I'm thinking that for anyone trying to make sense of these 'reports'/postcards it's a bad thing that I Geri has her iPad and that the hotel has wifi.  When I had to make notes and then write something up when I got home I was forced to think things through and be a bit more measured and a lot more organized.  So apologies for the free-form, stream-of-consciousness approach, but I can't resist. As any of my Facebook 'friends' will know.☺

1.  The shared gym and spa facility is well-maintained, though the free weights can be in short supply when the gym is busy.  Pick your time.  Still way better than most of the hotel gyms I am used to. 

2.  The shops as always.  Depending on what you're looking for you might want to hit all within reach before giving up.  The Melia CSM the best for cigars, the Sol for clothing, rum, wine and coffee, Las Dunas for souvenirs.

3.  The artisans market near the spa OK I guess but for us old timers the trashy souvenirs pale when compared with the stuff, real art, you could get years ago. 

4.  Osbiel, the bartender at the pool bar, can make a fine Bloody Caesar if supplied with clamato juice.  He has managed a supply of celery salt. A few regulars bring jugs of the juice and he can also also manage a 'bank' of cans if you buy at the shops and leave them on deposit with him.

5.  Geri's back doing well thanks to regular massages by Luis Wong.  The spa also a nice spot to go for a quiet swim after some gym time.  I've tried out my limited Cantonese on him.  Much fun as his as limited (if I understood his Spanish, his family first arrived in Havana in 1890 or so).

6.  Made the mistake of reading a foodie mystery.  Got some menu ideas and recipes but the effect is to bias my evaluation of the food here. 😜

7.  I wonder if our butcher can get me some beef hearts on a regular basis.  Haven't had one in years and I now have a Peruvian recipe that sounds fab.

8.  General: the resort is as it has always been.  Well maintained for sure.  A serious renovation coming but not really needed yet.  Lots of return guests a telling and good sign.  The place's weakness remains the uneven food.  The beach and pool grills good, the French a la carte too.  The Japanese OK.  The Italian gets universally bad reviews and given our experience there last time we're not inclined to give it another go for the sake of a review.  Great beach.  Staff that stay for years and seem happy.  GREAT coffee if you avoid the Americano.  Reasonable pricing that makes the food not so big a deal.

9.  Bit of background that might place my opinions in context: I spend a lot of time in hotels.  A lot.  In 2014 I was one of Delta Hotels top 100 customers and that was just for that chain.  Last year I spent something like 200 nights in hotels of one sort or another.  From Deltas to my current least favourite, the Timmins ON Travel Lodge (where the big question on check-in is whether you get a room with cigarette burns on the edge of the tub, on the toilet seat, or on both). I'm a little picky about some things and tolerant about others.

10. The Melia is a place we'll come back to over and over.  I (Geri may not feel the same way) am more attached to the Sol next door. But I'm happy enough here.  Over all I think the Sol a better hotel but as it has more limited options, especially food_ wise, for a longer stay the Melia  better choice for most.

11. Argentine guests with their mate cups a hoot.  High-tech caffeine addiction.

12. The only countries we visit where I have to sign printed credit card receipts are the US and Cuba. Ironic.

13. The PR staff are GREAT. But under used.  Want something or need to figure out how to do something?  Ask them.  If only to save me from having to tell people complaining about or wondering about stuff to contact the rather than interfere with my bar still reading time.

14.  BIG NEWS: Noemi who used to work at the Rancheon at the Melia has opened a hostale in Remedios.  We plan on visiting on Tuesday and will send more details.  We are already talking about visiting for a few days in April. 

15. More Sol news. The bathroom panoramic windows are now frosted on the ground floors.  Takes all the fun out of showering.  We were over there for the weekly pig BBQ to which we were invited as long-time return guests at the Sol. Excellent food, bit of extra party fun for the guests, then we raided the shop for all their clamato juice and headed to the Melia's lobby bar and had the bartenders make us a couple of Caesars before we toddled off to bed.

16. The seafood at the Rancheon great. The HVAC in the Mediterranean restaurant incredibly noisy and aside from the aforementioned appetizer the food ok but not great. 

17. The cravings have really set in now that we're halfway through week 2. I dreamt last night of an Indonesian restaurant in Amsterdam I haven't eaten at in 30 years.  On the flip side, the under-the-palms breakfasts here...

18.  Great time next door at the Sol tonight. Baby pig on a spit.if you're at the Melia talk to PR about an invite on the off chance that you might visit at some point.  They have a roast once a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment