Saturday, April 26, 2014

Random Musings From My Desk in Aix

1. The big news today? I bought a bottle of a local red for less than $4.00 (under E3) and it is (soon was) quite drinakbale. That's as cheap as it gets in our local shop. So I guess it's official: there is no such thing as a bad bottle of wine here.

2. When I retire, if I ever retire, a one bedroom apartment here in the old bit of Aix could be had for about $1300 per month. Less in the newer areas. Not bad for a winter escape.

3. Bar toilets have created some problems for my travelling partners, I now know more than I really need to about the various angles in which female humans may urinate.

4. The shine has definitely faded from the 'new' (20 years now?) public toilets here. I miss the old wrought-iron public pissoirs.

5. A tiny restaurant almost under one of our windows called La Table has great lunch food and is done-up like a 1950's litchen. Chef helps serve. First time in my life I actually enjoyed zuccini.

6. The bartenders here all seem to drink while working.

7. Vicki and Geri scored a round on our bartender yesterday. Sadly, not me.

8. Geri is a garage sale addict. She'll miss much of the best bit of the season but today it came to her as there was a flea market right outside our door. Mostly usual stuff I think, but an awful lot of women's undies. I thought it worth a photo. Got an odd look from the stall operator.

9. We found some high-heeled skis in a small sculpture gallery.

10. Le Woohoo is a great little bar. We're already committed to our local (besides, it is a bit of a walk), but much fun. On the north end of the old city near the wall. Look for it if you're in town. Photos posted today too.

11. Mail delivered 6 days a week. To your home. Horrors.

12. French shoe sales women have scary eyes and sharp teeth.

13. Areas where you can only walk have their disadvantage. You learn more than you really want to about people you've never met when you're minding your own glass of plonk and somebody walks by with their old mattress.

14. Starting to see meaning in scooter model names.  Think I'll give the Dink Theorum a rest.  Though Geri did find me a Big Dink today.  Had to celebrate with some fine Indian food and beer for lunch.

New photos posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment