Monday, June 6, 2016

What a Wine!



1.     Made it to the nearest banque this morning while Geri was waiting for assorted painkillers and anti-inflamatories to kick in.  My bank card didn’t work but a cash advance on a Visa card was no problem.

2.     A giant Ford 4x4 pickup spewing diesel passed me, followed by a middle-aged man on a bike with a couple of baskets wearing a black beret.  France in North America indeed.

3.     Place where Reykjavik was 10 years ago I think.  So untouristy I am having trouble finding postcards for my more elderly friends and relatives.  And the hours kept by shops etc have not been adjusted to global standards.  Only heard English from a native speaker once so far.

4.     Restaurant staff seem at least a bit bilingual to Geri.  Menus often bilingual or come in French and English versions.

5.     Half the people you pass in the street say bonjour and nod.  

6.     And you can cross a busy street anywhere.  Just step off the curb and traffic comes to a halt.

7.     Unlocked bikes left for hours leaning up against walls.
8.     Big library for a town this size.  Mebbe after all theirs close NL’ers can come over for a read.
9.     There is a VERY serious sailing club not far from our hotel.  With a drydock for the whoppers.  Lots of racing boats carrying sponsors’ adverts.

10.After 2.5 hours walking we had seen half the town and decided to retire for lunch.  I ordered what I thought was a very expensive white burgundy.  Until I tasted it.  Then I thought I had ordered a very moderately-priced white burgundy.

11.A REALLY nice in-house pate followed by a very nice seafood risotto.  

12.E51 for two.  E32 of that the wine.  Money well-spent.

13.I am writing this in bed.  After a wine-induced nap will be off to a wine shop while Geri waits for pills to kick in to see ii I  can get a few bottles of that burgundy at the wine shops we passed.

14.Found the FO and CFDT offices.  Brought cards, will drop in tomorrow.  Can’t find a CGT office but town small enough if it is here…

15.After that, the above-ground (all rock here, no dirt) cemetery and the war memorial.  Then another fab meal somewhere before retiring to bed bloated and wishing for a second stomach to fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment